Monday, August 29, 2016

Do You Hear What I Hear? (Part 1)

Amidst the hustle and bustle of a college campus, there are quite a few sounds that go unnoticed while making my way down Chancellor's Walk. With intentionality in mind, I listened to the various noises around me while outside, on my way to class. The obvious source of sound comes from the chatter among students, usually about class schedules and the abundance of homework each has, despite it being only the third week of school. I hear the roar of longboards as ride over the wooden bridges, the clank of the bike chains, the music playing entirely too loudly through headphones in the ears of students. Feet shuffle along the cement and book bags rustle, full of notebooks and pens. From time to time, I hear coughs and sniffles. Hidden beneath the man-made sounds, there are more subtle tones. The sounds of birds chirping in the distant trees, the wind blowing through the leaves and grass surrounding the sidewalk, even the blood pumping through my veins (especially when I'm walking to class in the mornings when there is practically no one on campus). Sometimes I hear the consistent breathing of people as they pass by, unaware of the audible sounds they are creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment