Wednesday, August 24, 2016

All About Me

Veterinarian School - that was my future... but something changed. It was not until senior year of high school when I realized I wanted to channel my artistic tendencies into a career and leave my zoology-intended major behind. I took a film class, Cultural Media Literacy, and my whole perspective on entertainment as a whole shifted. Film was no longer a form of media that brought me into an imaginary world, a place to escape, or to watch passively. Film was a creative outlet that challenged the mainstream, constructed aesthetically striking stories with dynamic characters that were full of life, and allowed the viewer to actively engage with the pictures flashing on the screen in front of them.

At this point in my life, I am on the path towards animation. I have always been a huge fan of Pixar and Disney (funny, because they are as mainstream as you can get, but nonetheless I love the timeless stories they produce). I identify as an artist, with the drawings I create as well as the ideas that manifest in my mind. Being able to translate those ideas into a tangible film would be a dream come true. Walt Disney said it best "All dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them". Especially when it comes to the film industry, it is challenging to become successful, however it all depends on how you define success. My definition of success is if I am able to make the most of my talents and ideas, putting forth as much effort as I can and making my best attempt. As long as I am happy, I believe success will fall into place afterwards.


Despite wanting to work for a massive animation corporation, experimental film is another one of my interests. For my FST 205 class last semester, I played around with clay-mation, a task both daunting and rewarding. A very time consuming process, I still enjoyed experimenting with a medium I was not use to. It gave me a new appreciation for those independent filmmakers who take the time to go off the tracks and try something new and different, even if the final product is not accepted by the general public. The freedom that comes with avant-garde style film is captivating - being given the chance to truly make the film of my dreams without any repercussions is comforting, to say the least.

So here I sit, a 20 year old in her apartment, slowly figuring out what I want to do with my life. Things may be confusing and scary right now as I attempt to plan out my future, but at least I can wrap myself in the comforting arms of filmmaking.


No comments:

Post a Comment