Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Self Portrait Film Concept

A self portrait film is an artistic work that mirrors its creator. The project can show one aspect of the person, or many aspects, and in order to successfully do so, one must know oneself. Although I feel like I have a strong sense of self, I wanted to get other opinions. I asked my Facebook friends what they think of when they think of me: passions? personality traits? first impressions?

Here were some of the answers:

  • Go-getter
  • Dreamer
  • Bubbly personality
  • Tries everything once
  • Fearless
  • Talented
  • Adventure-seeking
  • Confident
  • Hardworker
  • Sporty
  • Amiable
  • Christ impassioned
Taking all of these into account, along with my own self analysis, I decided to show a change over time. While those around me find it difficult to believe, I was not always the extroverted, talkative, adventurous woman I am today. Before coming to college, I was burdened with insecurities, which ultimately pulled me away from others. I let my insecurities mask themselves as shyness, and as a result I avoided making friends, trying new things, and exploring. 

The old Lauren constantly dealt with an internal battle: I knew what I wanted to do, and that was to try various sports, talk to everyone I came in contact with, join the school choir, explore other areas of interests with my artistic abilities. But my actions spoke differently. I hid amongst my small friend group, did not try any sports, quit dance, went to school and then went home. It was as simple as that, but there was no satisfaction. Often I felt invisible, brought on mostly by myself. I rarely pushed myself to step outside my comfort zone. I liked being just another face one passes in the hallway, or so I thought. Not only did I confine myself, but I felt confine by society. Society told me based on my gender, I had to act a certain way. I had to be "lady like" all the time, meaning I had to wear dresses, cross my legs, refrain from using bad language, and not surround myself with guys. This became problematic. While I have never been a tom boy, I do enjoy participating in activities that society considers "boyish". I enjoy playing sports, video games, and anything outdoors. I like to wear comfortable clothes (although indulge in the occasional dress or skirt). I get along with guys very well, therefore a lot of my time is spent with guy friends. Internally, I wanted to be myself - play sports, go on adventures, push myself. Externally, I stuck with my usual routine.

College. Things began to change. This acceptance letter was my one way ticket to freedom. Freedom from the constraints tied so tightly around my body and mind. I knew college would provide an avenue for finding my true self, and I came at it with full force. Immediately, I became a social butterfly. I made many friends, both guys and girls, joined a worship team to expand my talents, declared a film major, and have been loving life ever since. Slowly I began to stand out from the crowd, a feeling I thought I might never experience. I have reached a point in my life where I am perfectly content with myself and have the confidence to express who I am. 

With all of this in mind, I wanted to use this project to show the drastic change in my personality from high school to college. For the first half of the video, I wanted to keep everything in black and white, then slowly introduce color to further hint at a transition from old to new. To pull in aspects o my artistic side, I wanted to layer shots of my arms or leg against a background, and using body paint to blend my body into the frame through camouflage - this point is to show my desire to be invisible. But slowly I wanted to fade and expose myself. I plan on doing a voiceover narration, and filming on my GoPro. Basically, I am going to take everyone on an adventure through my day to day life, with POV shots. I still have a lot more to think about conceptually, but this is my basic idea. It's a starting point.


No comments:

Post a Comment